Business Services
Family Matters
Landlord & Tenant
Lasting Powers of Attorney
Probate & Intestacy
Latest Tweets

Foreign Divorce

Back to News

Are you looking to get divorced but were married overseas?

Under the law of England and Wales a foreign marriage is recognised as long as it met with the law of the country in which the marriage took place. But what about divorce?

Provided that your marriage is recognised then, along as you meet the criteria for applying to the court in England and Wales then you can apply to get divorced here.

The difficulty that can arise is if you try and obtain a divorce from the place that you were married.

In simple terms if your divorce was in accordance with the law of the country you were married and the divorce took place in that country, one party was resident or a national at the time and both parties had notice of the proceedings then it will be recognised here.

It won’t be recognised if the divorce took place here, an example would be a Muslim divorce can be obtained under sharia law in the UK but sharia law is not recognised in the UK therefore the divorce would not be legally recognised.

For help with divorce then please contact John or Andrew on 01902 429 051.

R N Williams & Co.
53 Waterloo Road,
Tel: 01902 429 051
  • Out of Hours Appointments and Home Visits by Request
  • FREE Initial 30 Minute Consultation
  • Simple Online Payment Facility Available
  • FREE Parking Facilities Available
Contact & Find Us